Monday, 4 May 2009
Blue Skies
Apparently we are in for a scorcher this summer. Not that you can trust a weather forecast but there is always hope. That is good news for the agoraphobic. So much easier to get out and about when the skies are blue and the sun is warm on your skin. Its also good to just even sit outside and get out of the home for a few hours.
Last week we got a glimpse, a promise, of what is hopefully to come. It was the first time this year I'd spent more than half an hour outside the house as the sun burned white in the sky. Just a shame we only got a day of it while the rest of this little island seemed to get it longer. But it was enjoyable nonetheless. The girls got their little tent out and quickly went to play. My wife, yes my wife, put in a little sort of fence around our little area of grass. More symbolic than effective. Much to my frustration a few vehicles have already reversed over the top of it and not let on.
My wife and I just perched on the doorstep as if waiting for the skies to darken. Our little patch isn't much but its enough. We do have a couple of seats to sit out but for some reason never bothered this time. It was just nice to sit out even with a numb backside. The girls meanwhile were intent on imprisoning their brother but he kept escaping. It was the boy's first time sitting out the front and he loved it. His sisters meanwhile bored quickly with the tent and instead took turns of putting on a show. I put down my pick knowing the chances of reading it were nought.
It only lasted a day but what a great day it was. I felt so much more alive just for those few hours out in the world. It is something that we all in the UK missed out on last year. So I really hope this year balances out like the forecasts are predicting. I for one would benefit immensely from it.
