Tuesday, 18 August 2009

On the trail



I was there and yet not there. Seeing something for so long and finally in that moment can do that. Waiting for so long with little hope to find yourself arrived has an unreal feeling to it. In fact I'd gone beyond what I'd hoped for. In a small woodland where lies a beautiful nature trail I stood at a tiny bridge watching the stream rush. The noise was astounding. The water echoed within the close confines of the tree. But for the whether I could have been on another continent rather than just over a mile from home. My only regret is that I forgot to put my hand in the water. Alone with no one to bother me and at one some what with nature in its sights and sounds all I had to do was put my hand in the crystal clear cold. Never mind I will do it next time.


I'd actually come for the above, that is down to the David Livingstone centre. The brilliant bronze monument to the explorer was what I wanted to photograph and finally today I managed it. I went in the car for the first time down there during the day fighting anxiety all the way with my wife driving and my son in the back with the daughters at school and nursery. I fought the urge to turn back as we sat in the car park, fought the urge to run back to the car when we were out and finally all seemed tranquil as I relaxed. I had my snap in the bag but we ventured further through droplets of rain.



Now that the boy can walk we allowed him to take the lead as my wife and I walked down to the Globe Fountain. It would be beautiful if the water did not look like a sewer- possibly something to do with cutbacks after the recent threat of closure. Unfortunately also the fountain was not on which was a pity but again probably cost cutting. Nice all the same.

Then I went a-wandering along the nature trail on my own my my wife looked after the boy, as described above. It was so peaceful I could have stayed there for longer and hopefully some time in the future will. A couple of momentary dizzy moments apart I had no anxiety and felt very relaxed. My wife also enjoyed it and the boy made his feelings known with a constant volley of happy shouting. Afterwards we drove to the nursery and picked up my daughter which topped off a perfect afternoon. Not one of the better days, the best day in a long while. I'm tired now but also content. Below are a couple of more photos from the nature trail which I hope to find out more about on a second visit and venture further in too as I only skimmed the top.