Wednesday, 2 June 2021

Cutting

  



" Cutting "

I actually could not say with any certainty that before I got up the other day I had ever cut grass, ever. In my 50th year that is a bit strange. Something tells me I have but I cannot recall. An orange electrical mower rings a bell as does cleaning the grass off the blades of a push mower. But still I can not say for sure I have cut grass. Well I did this week. A kind neighbour called me over while out walking the dog asking if I wanted to borrow the mower she had borrowed from her dad. The grass has become overgrown lately so I jumped at the chance.

I should say the grass has always been cut for us until now. The factor who looked after the flats had always hired a gardener to take care of that. But out the blue they have pulled out leaving us all factorless. That is no bad thing as we have all wanted out of that arrangement for years with no way out- the flats came with one. There were too many things to mention as to why they needed ousted but a couple bordering on the illegal. The rumour at the moment is that they pulled out after being challenged about a car park security light we all pay for. Someone apparently found it was actually a council owned light which they have been charging us for. Whatever the reason I'm glad to be out. Someone from the other block is trying to arrange a new factor but our block of six will not be taking up the offer, tale for another day.

So I mowed our grass and the grass either side of us as one belongs to an elderly man and the other is presently unoccupied. Not a great job as the neighbour told me later. The thing is I left the edges for fear of breaking someone else's equipment but plan to tidy that up this week. Also it was a tangke of cables up the stairs and into the living room with the dog tied up halfway on a long lead to allow him freedom to move. At one point though I looked up to find him wandering about the garden off the lead which set alarm bells running. I was just glad in the end to get it over with. When my wife came back from work she asking if I enjoyed cutting the grass. Did I not find it therapeutic? No, the short answer. 

It won't be the last time though hopefully. That grass will need cut but we don't have any space for a mower. We will have to work something out though as it cannot be left to grow indefinitely. I think next time though I will do it on a day I am not alone so someone can watch the dog indoors or sit outside with him as it was more stress than it should have been. 

No comments: