Wednesday, 30 June 2021

Altered realities

  





In the future what will people make of it all? A while back I had a real appetite for genealogy and the holy grail was always photographs for me. I'm not sure if that was the case for all. I've seen enough episodes of "Who do you think you are?" to know many have lots of photos of ancestors that I don't. My gran had the main source and chucked cinefilm before being stopped from chucking photos too. But there are not enough. I craved finding a pic of my maternal grandfather who was an incredible man but killed too young before I was born. Likewise a photo existed of my paternal great grandfather who died in his early 20s but I have never seen it. These for me are things greater than money.

Anyway mucking about with an app I produced the above picture making myself look 20 stone or so. How long will these exist? I know from having teenage girls that fake tan, nails, eyelashes, contacts, glasses, hair and do much more are all the rage. In years to come what will our descendants find which is actually authentic? It's scary just like the reanimation I mentioned before. Ironically though I found out my estranged parents told my aunt and uncle that I had given up on life and was mentally gone, beyond help. That narrative and the above photo would paint a very alternative reality so just how much of the past can we believe? 

No comments: