Wednesday, 7 July 2021

Strimming

  




A new neighbour moved in during lockdown but as he is rarely around I don't know much about him. When I took the dog out two days ago he was standing talking to another neighbour so I joined in. He'd bought a strimmer from Homebase and was taking care of his lawn. He made his case for his purchase which was reasonable enough. We don't have room for a mower and it is only a small patch of grass we all each have so it doesn't justify the purchase. Besides that it was only £15 for the strimmer and he had trimmed all of his grass with it. The other neighbour agreed and so she bought one too. She also offered it to me which I had planned on doing.

After a rethink though I bought my own. I think we need it. Space is a problem but they are not that big. I ended up spending more than I planned and more than my wife liked but I felt it better to spend a little more for various reasons. The neighbours had a cheap plastic £15 which does the job but not greatly and as one neighbour told me it took her all night. Also needed was a long extension lead so between the two probably £25. For twice that I could get a better one but also cordless. This was the big thing. That is a good price for a cordless one. For a Karcher the battery alone is £65. The big thing was though no cord. The alarm I felt previously cutting the grass when spotting the dog off his lead with busy traffic in the background pushed me into it. More so when I slowly went towards him and he started running toward the traffic. That was not good at all.

I finished the job today and it does look much better. I'm also confident now that while I will take up any offer of a mower in future I think without it I'll still be able to do it all with the trimmer. Now all I need to do is find a space to store it. 

No comments: