Thursday, 4 April 2013

Half Light


"Strange how the half light 
Can make a place new 
You can't recognize me 
And I can't recognize you" 
Half Light I, ARCADE FIRE 

Oh yes. Still buggering about with low key images in the hope of getting something passable to get printed for the kids' school photos this year. The solemn one is a reluctant model unwilling to look at the camera or far distance too long as he longs to get back to Angry Birds. A sense of longing: a boy missing his tablet. And alas opportunities have been few and far between. Between dragging the boy to the window and the unpredictability of natural light in this everchanging climate I have now decided to give it a week of rest. At least until his sisters return as they are up north for the week and posing comes naturally even if the look is less so.

But on the photo itself its low key which I am looking for but the half light gives a look which is not suiting for a school portrait. More apt for a moody music album cover look or Film Noir poster- the light it means. So what it needs is a reflector to light the whole face and make the image less moody- and by the way the finished products will be colour which also makes a difference. But its an improvement on the shoddy Lightroom fakery previously posted. So I have my reflector. After looking on amazon at various kids of various costs I decided instead to cover a sheet of cardboard in kitchen foil and it does the same thing- I have tried. So good to go as long as the sun shines.

Elsewhere things still going well. Little increments here and there but all heading in the right direction. School holidays are usually a time I hit a big lull but I am pleased to say I am pushing on harder than ever holding on to the little glimpses of hope I have been presented and not letting go. For the first time since all this crap started many moons ago I actually feel I am progressing and can come out the other side.

Still though the sword of Damocles hangs as I still await word from that French IT mob coming to tell me there is nothing wrong and to get out looking for a job ya lazy sod! Still I wait. But as I wait I am not standing still and maybe my the time they arrive I will be able to chase them. You never know.

No comments: