Wednesday, 5 February 2020

Twelve

 



Not a lot has been happening in the past week. The school runs continue and the weather remains dark and cold. Amid all that though the boy turned 12 on the second last day of the month, a day when my uncle also died a long time ago aged 40. At that time 40 was not old in my world but not young either so its weird to look back given I have lasted 8 years longer than he did. I cannot let my son's birthday pass without thinking of my uncle. At the time I would have been in my early 20s and single so could not really grasp my gran's visible pain and the phrase "you are not supposed to outlive your children". Now I fully understand it as a parent.

Anyway getting the boy something for his birthday was no easy thing because he basically has all he needs or wants. He is a boy of few wants and we are not the wealthiest by any stretch but somehow all he wants he has and more. What money he got will still mostly be there later in the year as he has no desire to waste it for the sake of it. A sensible lad that way. But he was happy with his lot. The first birthday of the year and a kind of rehearsal to the big ones next year when he will turn 13, one sister 16 and another 18. I will also turn 50 but that is nearly 2 years away. My parents will turn 70 but that will not matter I'm afraid as this was the first birthday where they did not even bother to send a card so that is an end to that.

We got take away which was the highlight for the girls who use any excuse for a takeaway including their parents' aniversary. Pictured above it was pizza and we do always enjoy as its not a thing we do often. Since my money stopped we hardly do it at all. Every penny a prisoner as they say. 

No comments: