Friday, 12 September 2014

Bye Boots



I am not one for change it has to be said. Clothes especially, usually presents from my wife, sit for months on end before I get around to wearing them. I'm the same with footwear. I remember my parents bought me a pair of boots for Christmas one year and it was over a year before I actually put them on. They were good boots but not as good as the pair my wife bought me a couple of years before that. Those stayed and saw off the newer boots in time- outlived them by some margin. When my wife bought me a new pair of boots earlier in the year after her work had a little win on the lottery they again sat in a  box in the cupboard unopened. Nothing could replace my old boots. How old I don't know but certainly older than my children.

All good things come to an end though and its with a heavy heart I have to say goodbye to these old friends. It didn't bother me that the wear and tear had made them uncomfortable on my feet and nor did it bother me that the soles were worn away to a bare tread. Something else meant the end of the old boots.

Over the last week or so my left heel has been hurting when I  put weight on it and it has gotten steadily worse- quickly. On Tuesday something seemed to go as I was walking through a car park and it was very sore after. Despite limping on for another mile I could not walk for the rest of the day and had to put my foot up. And despite attempting more walks after I finally had to give up as the pain was so bad. Its a strange thing. Its not sore to touch. I can press my heel without any pain at all but as soon as I stand and put weight on it I have to take the weight off its so sore.

Many suggestions were made as to what it could be. As I can't go to the doctor I must guess. Tendonitis seemed the most likely but then I found out about something called plantar fasciitis. That ticked every box and seems to be most likely- its commonly known as jogger's heel. Not good but comes down to wear and tear caused by not having the right footwear.

So it was bye bye boots and on with the new boots but that was not enough because the pain remains. I have though ordered a special insole for this condition which is cheap and recieved very promising reviews so I am hoping in time that will help me get back on my feet. Bye bye boots, they were great servants.

No comments: