Sometimes the smallest things to others are the biggest things to me. I was on my daily walk today minding my own business when I passed a jogger as happens some times. I noted the ear buds. Or is it air pods. The terminology escapes me in much the same way as earphones and headphones does. Anyway it got me thinking: when was the last time I listened to music outside? I really couldn't say. I am talking about personally rather than in a pub or the like or in the car. Just something I chose to listen too. And I reckon it was 2006 at least. Maybe even longer. 15 years. Incredible.
So I went into my pocket and pulled out a cheap pair of earphones that came with the phone, not the ones above which are there only as a representation of the title. I carry these because the speaker has broke on my phone and even loudspeaker is hard to hear. So if I make or take a call while out I use these. They are poor but serve their purpose. I put them in then looked to see if I had any downloaded music on my phone as I do not have a data plan that allows me to stream outside. One song: "Enola Gay" by OMD. No idea how it got there. So I listened. It wasn't the joy I hoped for but that is nothing to so with the song. In fact much like the reason I stopped listening to music outdoors I felt agitated by it so turned it off. Shame really but maybe an indicator sometime down the line of wellness. Maybe some day I'll go out for a long walk listening to music and enjoying it. Maybe an audio book first and then maybe some classic and finally my own music. I can't help think though as soon as the music played I was reliving being in that car again in the daily angst filled journey to and from work. Maybe perseverance is required. I did after all not even make it past a 3 minute song.
We are all at least spending a bit more time out doors at the moment. On sunny days we can sit outside for a bit to feel the heat on our skin and the air brush past. In those times its hard to see that we are living in cells. There are more people passing that there were. I think mentally people need to get out as long as they keep to themselves.

No comments:
Post a Comment