Not a popular sentiment I know but I have to say it: I hate Christmas. I didn't always hate it and maybe it just this year in particular but right now I just want to get it out of the way. Its a mssive expense at a time when everyone is striking because they don't have enough money, more people are using food banks than ever and power bills are rocketing out of sight. Every purchase is shrinking but the cost is snowballing- a grand for a phone! You give things people don't always want and recieve things you don't always need- or want either. And yet with social media there are always those showing off their wealth and their boxes of presents for the kids and grandkids and all the rest. You go outside and there are houses lit up like a lighthouse probably using enough power to run the whole street. Wherever you look there are things to make you feel inadequate at this time of year.
People only want to see one side of Christmas. They don't want to see people taking out loans they cannot afford to keep up with rest. They don't want to see people cold, hungry and homeless outside while others are inside and warm getting stuck into a big turkey with all the trimmings. But I know for a lot of people it is not about that. For some people its about going to church and the social side. Its about families getting together. Its about the happy faces of young children opening up a present. It is a real mixture of things depending on your circumstances. Its not all bad but its not all good either.
For me though, as I said, I just want to see the back of it. I've spent more money than I should have and I know the kids are going to be disappointed with what they find. And that will be compounded later when they are on their social media and see what other have gotten. Its shouldn't be about material gains but it is in the same way that Easter is all about the chocolate eggs. If it were not then no one would give presents or eggs.
Anyway sorry to be such a downer but the world has gone to pot at the moment and it feels like so many people are struggling financially at the moment and Christmas is the last thing they need too. I don't think I am alone in that respect or maybe I am. Maybe I am the only Scrooge in the village.
A big part of how I feel this year is down to this year being very different for other reasons. Usually at Christmas we get up, kids open their presents and then my wife takes them up North. Its been like that for as long as I could not go. This year though my wife and oldest daughter are working in the care sector so need to work Christmas Eve, Christmas day and boxing day so it doesn't feel very much like Christmas at all. They are not just working a few hours either but out at around 7:00 then home around 22:00. So for them it really is not Christmas at all. And the same goes for the younger two who will no doubt feel like something is missing come the big day.
Aside from the grumping I do hope many people do have a merry Christmas this year of all years. Especially the kids.

No comments:
Post a Comment