Monday, 5 September 2016

The places we did go



Years ago I was working my way through a book about ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) which was very kindly given to me free but did not help me get out of the hole I was in. Its a strange thing really because I look back at that workbook and see everything in the books that helped me is right there in those ACT books too. In fact the things that helped are in most of the self help guides I have read. So why does one work and no the other? Each case is of course different so its not like a broken leg where there is one fix for all so that is a factor. But I also think its all in the delivery. The books that helped me were written my a man who says she had Panic Disorder too and from reading the books I believe that to be the case. What most authors don't get is the anxious mind. The most popular self help involves a large number of "methods" all in one box. Its overwhelming. Most books are thick. The nuggets in these things are hard to find and harder to keep a hold of. The anxious mind finds it hard to focus and concentrate and then ultimately retain. With this in mind a method for recovery has to be concise and repetitive. That is what the books I used are and they also contain many other clever subtle methods. But I am off on a tangent here.

The ACT books for me nearly got there. The delivery was not what it should have been because I think they were written by people who had not been there. But they brought a lot of good ideas with them to try to get there points across and those did stuck but in the end I think there was just too much to take in and a few big errors that let them- like asking people to write their own epitaph. A personal opinion but one I know a few others have too. Anyway one of the things that stuck with me were the references to Dr Seus' "The places you'll go". I like it. I can see its relevance. It came to mind again when I was writing the last post and looking through the photographs I have taken recently. I see that in between posts we, as a family, have been to many different places I have not mentioned because they were not enough in themselves to make up a post. It is though worth noting them even if its just for myself to go back to later even if some are a return to places we had already been recently. Anyway below are some photos of places we went to these past few months that I did not blog about- a couple of revisits included. The kids are more frequently looking to their mum to go on drives and it means whether its at night or the weekend we are getting out and about. Which is good. The point is that I have been a lot of places that I have not blogged about so I thought its worth leaving a note. July and August were big months for me over the summer holidays and we tried to fit a lot in which meant for less idle time and to be honest it took a lot out of me so at the time the desire to blog was low. Time for a catch up then.

PS My wife would kill me if she knew I posted I pic of her. Seemed apt as she is the reason we have been able to go to all these places for which I am eternally thankful. 

(Eaglesham)

(Strathclyde Park)

(Loch Lubnaig)

(Callander)

(Biggar)

(Portobello)

(Girvan)

(Turnberry)

(Bathgate Hills)

(Falkirk)

(Bridge of Allan)

(Gourock)

(Irvine)

(Dumfries)

(Greenock)

(Port Glasgow)

(New Lanark)


No comments: