Friday, 7 November 2014
Viaduct
I've lost my phone, I said to my wife. No. Just typical. I had to feel my jacket and trouser pockets by way of padding them with the palm of my hand as my hands were thick with mud. We'll have to go back, she said. I looked ahead not believing what I was seeing. A chance discovery. As much as I wanted to go on we had to head back and so we did.
In the morning we had planned to go into Hamilton. I have a cheque for a small amount but it all counts. Its been sitting there for about 2 months as I cannot get to the bank to cash it. Its right in the centre of town. Today though I was going to attempt it. The thought of standing in a queue and waiting did not fill me with any desire to go but I knew it had to be done. It also didn't help that on a Friday its twice as busy as normal in town. We didn't go however. I could not find the cheque and so its left for another day.
My wife has been off on holiday all week so we have been trying to do things. We decided instead to go for a drive to a park we had been to once briefly and have a stroll there. It has only this year been renovated and is a nice place to go walking from the short stay we had previously. This time we planned to explore more and so we did.
We went down and down through woodland on a path less trod than others and as such with less grip. There was a lovely little bridge over a stream and no one about. The only life existed in the sounds of nature and distant barks of many dogs being walked down a favourite haunt. We walked on. I got out my camera and went down to the river bank to take some photos as my wife walked on. No sooner had I done so than I went my length and ended flat out covered in mud. It gave me wife a laugh at least.
We walked on and as I tried with a bit of kitchen roll my wife had in her bag to wipe my hands as best as I could we saw come into view the viaduct. I had forgotten all about it. For weeks I had planned a visit there but eventually abandoned the plans as I could see no way to reach there without a very long walk. Now I had stumbled upon it by chance. Quite a coincidence as I had no idea they were so close to where we were walking. I felt elated. These were once saught out for miles and mile around by eager beavers wanting to climb them. And many did. It was a challenge for these climbers and they came from afar to take on that challenge. I have no idea the story behind them. I don't know if they are ruins of something that once was or something unfinished. I just felt the need to see them. And it was as we neared and I wanted to see how far we had walked that I realised my phone was missing- I record my walks on the phone via GPS.
So we had to turn back and as we expected, and hoped, we found my phone where I had fallen. It had been a long way to walk for me so I had been expecting to head back at that point and try again another day knowing now I could get there. But instead we went back to the viaduct and did get there. Huge things they are. Colossal. Quite a sight but I suppose once you have seen them there is not a lot more of interest about them. And so after viewing we left.
We did not stop there however. By the time we got back to the car I was struggling for breath. I knew it was anxiety related even though we had taken a steep incline to get back. Instead of leaving we decided on another walk on the other side of the river.The is was just as long and we eventually came to the viaduct again on the other side. This time there were stairs to go up. I got halfway up but I was more than pleased with that.
A nice surprise. At the start of the year I had a list of things I wanted to do this year. A very big list. I did know if I would be able to do any but as the year comes to a close I find I have done much more than I imagined. It makes me excited about what to put down for next year's list. Starting to look forward now rather than back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment