Monday, 12 December 2011
Winter bugs
We have our the first snow. Should be magical, used to be magical, but when you feel shit in a freezing cold flat and the temperature plummets over night there is nothing magical about it. I'm going around in circles here. A little bird in the snow looking for food. Not sure what type of bird. Willie Wagtail? Don't know.
With my health declining my wife phoned the surgery and I awaited a call. I spoke to the doctor reluctantly. Very nice she was too. One minute and forty seven seconds later a diagnosis over the phone. Chest infection for sure with "I'll leave a little antibiotic for you to pick up at any time". My wife kindly picked it up for me and I have been taking the course this week. Its improved a little but still having these breathless coughing fits which are scary and no fun at all. A lot of breathing related problems. The worst of these is a sudden sharp involuntary intake of breath like the body has decided its not getting enough air or there is a blockage. That is something I don't like at all when it happens. Worries me. But hopefully I am on the path to recovery now and the symptoms will take care of themselves. As I expected the antibiotic is not fast working.
As a result of the illness I have been out even less than last week and the two times I did go out were very hard going indeed. Again frustration but this is going to be like starting over again when I can eventually get back out again. Not helped by the weather. The snow turned to ice making it very slippery underfoot which is not walking weather for me. The wind though was something else.
Scotland has been hit with 100mph winds this week, 165mph up the North, so that lead to the kids being at home one day with the schools shut and even my wife at home as her work closed early- that is her now finished for the year. My main concern with the wind was powercuts but thankfully that never happened. Its cold so no power means no heating which I think would be unbearable at night. And it would mean no hot food. No light. No TV or laptop- no distraction. Don't think I could have handled that.
Labels:
Antibiotic,
Bird,
Dreaded Lurgy,
Infection,
Snow