Thursday, 1 April 2010
Allowing the water to settle
I've just about finished, 10 pages to go, reading "The Celestine Prophecy" and finding my will to read on is slipping. For anyone who hasn't read the book its a parable about human enlightenment which takes place via nine insights. One of the things that struck me reading it was that Eckhart Tolle's "A new Earth" seems to lend a lot to it but at least Redfield's was a work of fiction. That reminds me if there is a book that has become a best seller because it had been plugged by Oprah Winfrey then avoid it. Tolle's books and books like "The Secret" being prime examples- the latter claims to use the mystery of the universe for material gain which is not a concept I can get my head around. For example if you want a million dollars then you just have to ask the universe for it and by the law of attraction it will be yours. Well at least that was my understanding of it, I couldn't stand more than 50 pages. Don't you just love these kind of books for all the wrong reasons? I just had a sneak at the next book I am going to read and it claims: "Find out why the mental and physical deterioration associated with aging is not natural, and how you can retrain your youth." Mmm...maybe not.
Back to the original book I was talking about. I actually liked some of the ideas for the most part except for the leanings toward vegetarianism and the idea that for humanity to move forward there should be only one child per parent. But it is fiction and so I can put up with little annoyances but the nearer it gets to the end the more into ludicrous overdrive it goes which is making it hard to read on. The idea of how times have changed intrigued me. Of the masses believing in their church and when that all fell apart moving toward scientific method where everything had to be proven. What it led to is a dwindling of mystery. That which cannot be measured in some way doesn't exist. And I think that is something we miss in our lives. It has conditioned us, Western culture at least in general, to dismiss the unexplained too quickly. More than that though it makes us lean on the understood view without questioning it- I am thinking about anxiety here. Again what if it is not as straight forward as we are told it is? And if it were that straight forward then it would certainly be more manageable than it is proving to be within the health service who in reality don't actually appear to understand.
That's not a road I want to go down at the moment. Instead I was wanting to talk about something else from that book. There were a few things that intrigued me. The concept of unseen energy was one which we can find way back from acupuncture to Franksenstien. Another was the first insight in the book which would see restlessness to begin with which I am sure some of us can relate to. It would also see individuals start to notice coincidences. Now as I said this is a work of fiction but it resonated with me because I have been noticing a lot of coincidences of late- especially where negative thinking and incidents later are concerned. But what really hit me was tonight when I decided to look back at this time last year to see what I was posting about because I have had trouble thinking what to write. As you may have noticed I have re-jigged the layout here and this time last year I did the same but I didn't know that until I looked back tonight. In fact it wasn't by choice as I tried to change the banner and the template became corrupted so I had no choice. Also though I made a post about synchronicity (or more precisely Synchrodestiny by Deepak Chopra). On top of that I also noticed that I had mentioned last April of having a period where I could not shake the feeling of impending doom which was scary. For a couple of days there I thought I was losing my sanity and I now see it is actually the same thing. Well I didn't actually think I was losing my sanity but the feeling was there in my mind and I couldn't shake it so it was quite hard to argue with- that is the nature of obsessive thoughts.
Best of all though looking back at April last year and seeing so many coincidences I can also look to what came after that. From May to June until the end of the year things really picked up. That has given me a boost. It seems like I am playing through the same cycle again as the previous year which hasn't been great for the past few months but now will hopefully improve again. The big splash at the start of the year is still rippling but with time they are losing momentum and the water is starting to settle again.
Labels:
Celestine Prophecy,
Echkart Tolle,
The Secret