Sunday, 12 September 2010
Magic Door
We live in a time where kids are spoiled. Not all kids but a lot of kids. My own kids are no different. They have too much not only from their parents but also grandparents, aunts and uncles. So much waste as the majority of things end up crushed in a toy box that can't be shut unused and unplayed with. They wind up under beds, on top of cupboards and just about anywhere there is a space.
The boy doesn't have as many play things as the girls but he doesn't need them. For some reason known only to himself the only toy he will play with is the lid of a Play-Doh tub. He takes it everywhere. In the morning when he gets up its the first thing he looks for. At night when its time to got through to the bedroom for some hot milk and a DVD its the last thing he drops. I can't see the appeal with it myself and he doesn't actually do anything with it other than hold it. Its with him in the home and even some times when he goes out he takes it with him. Its his comfort blanket I suppose.
His speech for his age is not good. The girls were coherent and very clear speakers at his age but he is very inaudible at the best of times. It might be a boy thing as I remember his male cousins being slower than the girls in that respect. So when he used to reference this lid none of us had an inkling as to what he was trying to say. With some patience it turns out he calls it "Magic Door". We have no idea why but my youngest girl seems to think its something to do with an episode of "Dora the Explorer". Its amazing how kids look for the simplest things and apply their own magic to them. For all those pounds spent on a cramped box full of redundant toys a lid to a tub because the must-have thing.
Mind you I wouldn't mind a magic door myself. I seem to have come full circle. There was a time when I hated travelling because I either hated driving or hating flying. Then I made the decision never to fly again which sat very well with me and I enjoyed travelling again by boat, coach and rail. Now I'm back to hating travelling again because of circumstance while really deep down wanting to go places. If I had a magic door to step into somewhere instantly and instantly step back out again it would do me fine. Or maybe it wouldn't because I do miss watching the world roll by on a train. There is something very relaxing about the big window and the blur of the world of rolling fields and such like passing behind. Maybe just a magic door then to get me back home would suffice.
Labels:
Boy,
En-Em,
Fantasy,
Imagination,
Magic Door
