Saturday, 31 January 2009

Artificial life



Sitting typing away at the keyboard like I do for most of the day every day when a thought came to me. What would I be like if I lived 100 years ago?

As I am now I would be very alone. I may have some books for distraction if I was lucky. There would be more interaction because no doubt I'd have more family and friends close at hand. Faster travel has made the world a smaller place. But also wider, families live generally further apart. In fact I would probably not be able to pass a day without seeing at least one person who did not live under the same roof. In all likelihood I would not have a panic problem with people as a result.

If the electricity was turned off tomorrow I'd be lost. My world is not a real one anymore. All the people I converse with most and the places I go are all electronic. Most of my day is spent in this artificial life and maybe that is why my body is giving up so much. No need for a body, just living in the mind alone. Humans evolve so maybe my body is thinking I don't need it anymore because I no longer reside in the reality where it is needed. Instead my mind is plugged into the electronic living beast we call the web in places like Blogger, Twitter, Facebook, Bebo, Windows Mail and various forums. And in those places my identity is not my own so I come to think now: what has happened to the old me?