Monday, 31 August 2026

Taste

 


Scrambled eggs on toast. A staple of mine for so long but now a no go area. The body is a a strange thing sometimes. It is without any doubt incredible but like all things can be open to failures or at least strange activities. In particular here I am referencing the brain more than its outer shell. Since my fall I have come to expect and accept a lot of different things. Headaches out of the blue fot one which is unsurprising, even now, given I had a head injury. There are other things connected to it too. I have to keep tissues at hand at all times because randomly my nose will just start to bleed. Despite there being nothing wrong with my body I still struggle to get off the coach and when on my feet I need the aid of a zimmer to move about in case I fall and do further damage. Despite knowing that and despite being given the tools to prevent that I still have had a few falls when frustration have gotten the better of me and I have attempted to traverse a room unaided. Its always the same. I start off well if unbalanced and no matter how well I do inevitably I end up in a crumpled heap on the floor. Thankfully so far I have not done any damage to myself or my property. I will never learn. Even going right back to the early days in hospital where a furious nurse had to help me up from under a bed I had fallen under bizarrely while attempting to get to the toilet unaided-we were instructed not to leave bed without informing someone to supervise and there really was no excuse given we all had a button to get the staff's attention.

Once again I am off on a tangent. What I was hoping to lead into was how a blow to the head has somehow affected my taste. I find that since my fall I have been getting easily frustrated and this is another example here. I am not bothered that something strange has happened to my taste. I am working around it and learning what I can eat and what I can. In truth I would say at least 90% of my taste is still OK. Probably a lot higher. Its all trial and error. Bread based products are my biggest problem. Not only do I have a problem with taste but I also get an uncomfortable burning lump in my throat which lasts a good while.

As I said I can work around these things but remain frustrated by the lack of information I was given. Just having some answers would have been nice about whether it was common, would it be permanent, why did a head injury cause it and a few other things. As it is I am left guessing but still wise enough to know not to take my curiosity to Google. 

Its not a big deal I suppose when you look at it. Its relearning what I can and can't eat which is hardly a cause to complain. It is a small issue in comparison to what some people have to endure so I will note it but not complain- or try not to at least.

It is fast approaching a year since I was discharged with the hope of continuing my recovery back to to full physical and mental wealth. That has totally ploughed into the buffers and that is all on me. So many people have played their part in picking me up back to my feet and aiding me on my journey forward again. As soon as I was alone though I just sat down because it was easier and I am still sitting there. Its not a good admission but if I am too move on then I need to be honest and try to improve. That is my intention. There really is no excuse. I can walk with the zimmer so need to start doing it. I am also taking up a wheelchair which someone else could be using. Hopefully by the end of this year there will be progress. If not then its on me and I cannot complain about anyone else.


No comments: