Thursday, 8 October 2009
Cold
For over a week now we having being fighting the growing urge to turn on the heating despite the cold. Not that it is the Antarctic or we cannot afford to have it on any more than anyone else but just on principal. The power companies are a sore point. It is obvious price fixing in which they are holding a nation upside down and shaking out the last of their small change. I have been determined not to give them a penny more than needed. The regulators won't do anything and the government can't do anything. Like with everything else in the UK we are in a sorry state.
My hands have been driving my brain insane with a constant torrent of obsessiveness over colour, sensations and anything else I can get stuck in that old mental spin cycle. Completely irrational and caused by the cold temperatures as I well know but not so easy to stop. Its like a stuck record that gradually grows to irk the hell out of you but you just can't lift the needle. I go through these periods again and again. But still I wouldn't turn the heating on and neither would my wife who is as dogged as me on the matter.
But tonight we finally gave in. The house was just so cold that any movement brought about a whip of cold air and the kids were feeling it too. God it felt great. It made we wonder how we never turned it on sooner but then I had a mental image of the electricity meter spinning away in a blur and some fat cat counting more coins. After a couple of hours we turned the heating back off again with the kids tucked in bed asleep under the covers.
Of course there are people living on the streets who know who what real cold weather feels like through no fault of their own in some cases. There are people who can't afford to feed their children and/or themselves. There are people with a whole host of problems bigger than this but I can't help getting it off my chest. I just get infuriated when I think about what these power giants are getting away with. Its the type of issue that in years gone by would have been the catalyst for a revolution.
Lastly can I just say something about the pic. Of course its a red man at the traffic lights. The phallic addition I didn't notice until later- I didn't add that. Something I would have done as a kid but I have grown out of that stage, possibly.
Labels:
Cold,
Obsession,
Power,
Revolution,
State