Thursday, 6 November 2008
Wine is good for you
Increasingly I have been getting frustrated by society and the world that we live in. We live in a media driven world where we are fed too much information- too much misinformation actually. Every day I browse the BBC News website because it is good and informative while relatively unbiased but the one thing that really riles me is the endless new studies that appear on a daily basis.
One minute red wine is good for the heart and the next it also causes cancer. You know the sort of thing. Today for example there is one entitled "Probiotics may stop pneumonia" and another "Migraines mean less cancer risk". It really is ridiculous. And you may think why let it bother you? Well I'll tell you why. The Department of Work and Pensions rightly is cracking down on offenders cheating the system which means people like myself are getting eternally hassled as a result. People unemployed through no fault of their own are not only stigmatised but have to live on a pittance. These cretins who do these useless studies are given thousands in funding to come up with this useless nonsense. Why not give it to people out of work to tell us washing your hair with strawberry milkshake reduces the chance of fungal foot disease?
Maybe I'm just in one of those moods today but I am angry at everything and feel the fight within me strengthening my resolve. I am just sick of the crap from the media in all channels. We are told how we should look, how we should think, what we should eat and given a list of things we must not do. Failure to adhere to them all makes you a social outcast or a lesser being. This is the world we live in.
Today I spotted a story on the BBC News website. Two days ago a man named Sydney Maurice Lucas died. He had been one of 5 survivors of the First World War born in 1900. He went on to have a long life and put it down to "moderate consumption of alcohol". Enough said. There you go. In the name of Mr Lucas I conclude wine, and any other alcohol, in moderation is good for you. Now where is my thousands of pounds for conducting that study?
As my uncle used to tell me- "Don't let the bastards grind you down". Essentially be your own person and only do what you are worth and more importantly what you enjoy doing. Individualism is the best tonic. Trying to blend and fit in with the system is not mentally good.
Labels:
Alcohol,
Philosophy,
Social Outcast,
Society,
Wine